Sunday, November 23, 2008

Evolution: My Music in Flux

A few class periods ago we watched a video about the way that music has been classically marketed to us. It has also brought me to think about evolution of the way that music is given to us once is it marketed.
For example, last weekend I sat around with a group of my friends in their apartment and we decided to listen to records. We listened to the best of Elton John until it ran out and then we flipped it over. After the second side we switched modes of play to Windows Media Player to fill some of my friends in on some of the other finer songs of Sir Elton. All of a sudden we were listening to Billy Joel and I was struck with the thought of “How did we get here?” Of course, my mind followed it perfectly: Elton John is really good, but we’ve been listening to him for a while and it’s time for a change.
But that was just it. When we were listening to the record we listened to the entirety of both sides, and then when we turned to the computer for our media we switched songs and artists and genres mid-song. Technological determinism had made its mark not only on us, but was differentiated in our group by the type of media that we decided to use. The bounds of the theory were endless, and, for the time being, I set it aside and continued listening to the classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment